In celebration of this year’s Fourth of July, Kravet issued a mission to all of our loyal blogger friends to
send in recipes for their most patriotic and delicious treats. We know that summer is the perfect time for entertaining but whether you are cooking for your own party or making something to bring along, the
question always remains “What should I make?”
We carefully searched through all the submissions and we have chosen a winner in each of our four food categories: hors d'oeuvres, entrée, dessert and drink. Each of our winners will receive a $25 gift card to Whole Foods. Thanks to everyone who participated, and congrats to the winners. Without further ado, Kravet presents the winners of our Fourth of July Recipe Contest!
Hors d’oeuvres - Figs on the Grill
Submitted by Courtney Price
- Cooking oil
- Balsamic glaze
- Roquefort cheese
- Cut figs in half, brush lightly with oil
- Grill for just a few minutes, face down only (they are fragile, remove, place face up on plate
- Top with a dash of balsamic glaze
- Add a little roquefort
- Top with crispy pancetta and serve
- Don’t turn your back they will not last long…
Entrée - Grilled Shrimp with Red Pepper Dip
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen extra jumbo shrimp in shells (about 32)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red sweet peppers
- 1 (8-ounce) carton dairy sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact (if desired). Rinse shrimp; pat dry with paper towels. On skewers*, thread shrimp, leaving 1/4 inch between pieces. Lightly brush with some of the oil; set aside.
- If using sweet peppers, halve peppers lengthwise and remove stems, seeds, and membranes. Lightly brush peppers with remaining oil.
- For charcoal grill, place shrimp skewers and peppers on rack of uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill peppers about 15 minutes or until charred, turning occasionally. Grill shrimp 9 to 11 minutes or until shrimp are opaque, turning once halfway through grilling. (For gas grill,
preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place shrimp skewers and peppers on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Wrap peppers in foil; let stand about 20 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, place shrimp skewers on tray. Cover; chill 1 to 24 hours.
- Using paring knife, gently and slowly pull skins off peppers.
- For dip:
In a blender or food processor, combine peppers, sour cream, salt, and black pepper. Cover and blend or process with a few on/off turns until mixture is coarsely chopped. Transfer to small bowl. Cover and chill 1 to 24 hours.
- Serve shrimp with dip. Makes 8 servings.
*Tip: If using wooden skewers, soak them in water at least 30 minutes before grilling; drain before using.
Dessert - Berry & Basil Shortcake
Submitted by Sana Keefer
- Organic Blueberries
- Organic Strawberries
- 1 Can of Natural Whipped Cream
- 1 Sprig Sweet Basil
1. Prepare strawberries and slice.
2. Layer strawberry slices on top of the shortbread.
3. Add a layer of whipped cream and top with fresh blueberries.
4. Garnish with Sweet Basil.
5. Delight your guests and save two for yourself :)!
Drink - Texas Heat Smoothie
Submitted by Donna Vining
- 1 cup of pomegranate juice
- ½ cup of almond milk
- ½ cup of frozen strawberries
- ½ cup of frozen blueberries
- ½ cup of frozen peaches
- 1 banana
- Place all ingredients in a blender
- Blend mix until reaching desired consistency
Makes two 8 oz glasses – perfect for you and a friend!
Thanks again to everyone who participated. Enjoy the summer and let us know how you like the recipes!